Having Those Difficult Conversations 3: Discipline and Firing
A particularly snarly collection of conversations centers on implementing a discipline system, particularly when it leads up to termination. It’s easy to fill out the paperwork that aligns with your rules, but when it comes to actually having the conversations, many drag their heels and look for ways to “avoid conflict.” Firing people is not one of our most enjoyable tasks, but it is a task that must be done – and done well..
The module is available for instant download and includes
- Intro and Firing Someone who takes the news easily (video)
- Firing Someone who gets unhappy about being fired (video)
- Firing Someone who gets angry about being fired (video)
- Preparing to Fire Someone (video)
- Explaining the Termination (video)
- Difficult Conversations Flow Chart (document)
- Firing Flow Chart: Before the Termination (document)
- Firing Flow Chart: Set-up (document)
- Firing Flow Chart: Termination (document)
- Disciplinary Action Form (document)
This is the toolkit developed and used by Liz Trotter, founder and owner of American Maid Cleaning in Olympia, WA. Liz is also a charter member of Cleaning for a Reason and a past board member of ARCSI.
This toolkit/module was first released as the May 2014 installment of the HiPEP: High Performance Employee Program subscription.